Archive

Posts Tagged ‘javascript’

SharePoint 2013: Creating and calling custom JavaScript function in search display template

October 23, 2017 Leave a comment

Hi Friends,

Recently I came across a requirement where I need to create a custom JavaScript function which will change the date formatting on the provided string date parameter.

I tried creating normal JavaScript function in display template and tried calling it from other part of template but the function was undefined and not found inside the display template, I got little bit confused as I have created the JavaScript function in same display template but still not able to find it in same display template while calling. We can have couple of ways to resolve the issue.

Solution 1:

After some googling I found the cause of the issue and the solution as well, as follows.

The possible reason is scoping of the display template not allowing to consider external JavaScript function as a part of the scope to call inside display template.

The solution is to create new function on window scope and the call it in the desired place inside display template.

window.MyTestFunction = function(myParam)
{
// your own logic to work on the param 'myParam'
}

Calling the function:

<a style="cursor:pointer" onclick='window.MyTestFunction(3)'>Call My custom JS function</a>

Solution 2:

  1. Create a JavaScript file (MySampleJS.js) in the Display Templates/Search folder.
  2. Add the custom JS function in to the MySampleJS.js file.
  3. Add the following code into thetag below to include the JS file in display template
<script>
$includeScript(this.url, "~sitecollection/_catalogs/masterpage/Display Templates/Search/ MySampleJS.js");
</script>

Happy learning.

Advertisements

SharePoint: How to check if page is in edit mode or not in JavaScript

August 28, 2017 Leave a comment

As SharePoint evolved and other client technologies started to become popular and independent we are achieving most of the solution with client side technologies like JavaScript, jQuery and other similar.

I came across one requirement while working on a JavaScript based component, where I need a conditional code to run only when my page is in edit mode. I found multiple solutions which I summaries below.

Option 1:

var inDesignMode = document.forms[MSOWebPartPageFormName].MSOLayout_InDesignMode.value;
if (inDesignMode == "1")
{
// page is in edit mode
}
else
{
// page is in browse mode
}

For Wiki pages

var wikiInEditMode = document.forms[MSOWebPartPageFormName]._wikiPageMode.value;
if (wikiInEditMode == "Edit")
{
// wiki page is in edit mode
}
else
{
// wiki page is not in edit mode
}

Option 2: Using SP.Ribbon.PageState.Handlers.isInEditMode()

ExecuteOrDelayUntilScriptLoaded(function(){
var InEditMode = SP.Ribbon.PageState.Handlers.isInEditMode();
if(InEditMode){
// page is in edit mode
}
}, 'SP.Ribbon.js');

Option 3: While checking the value in SharePoint search display template we need to use Srch.U.isPageInEditMode Method

var isRollupPageInDisplayMode = Srch.ContentBySearch.isRollupPage(ctx.ClientControl) && !Srch.U.isPageInEditMode();

Happy Learning!

SharePoint: Access denied error while calling web service from JavaScript

March 6, 2017 2 comments

Hi Friends,

I would like to share one very specific while calling web service from JavaScript, we were getting exception. Important point to note here is the code is working very fine if we access the page on server. But we are getting JavaScript ‘Error: Access is denied.’ Error while accessing the web page from client machine through browser.

error1

We are getting exception where we are calling the web service.

After some analysis the error came out as HTTP and HTTPS mixed content issue.

In our case HTTPS is configured on load balancer level and on ISS 7 level we have HTTP only hence web service call is working fine.

While accessing from outside URL is getting accessed only with HTTPS and non-secured request is also redirected with secured.

Problem fund that we have used ‘_spPageContextInfo.webAbsoluteUrl’ variable which is providing the HTTP path as SharePoint is unaware with existence of HTTPS as it is configured on load balancer level.

‘_spPageContextInfo.webAbsoluteUrl’ is supposed to give HTTPS path if HTTPS configured on ISS 7 level but as in our case SSL is configured on load balancer hence SharePoint is unaware about SSL.

Solution:

We have checked the protocol of the browser request using ‘document.location.protocol’ and if it is HTTPS then we replaced HTTP with HTTPS from the output of ‘_spPageContextInfo.webAbsoluteUrl’

change

This solution is working fine both in the case of HTTPS and HTTP.

Though this scenario is very specific but still this may help someone to understand the issue better.